Friday, June 29, 2007

Too Much Sleep... Not Much Rest!


After a 12 – hour "sleeping session" I decided to write a bit about the state of dormancy called sleep…

As the dictionary defines it, sleeping is a natural periodic state of rest for the mind and body, in which the eyes usually close and consciousness is completely or partially lost, so that there is a decrease in bodily movement and responsiveness to external stimuli. During sleep the brain in humans and other mammals undergoes a characteristic cycle of brain-wave activity that includes intervals of dreaming.

As I see it, especially recently, sleeping is an act that needs to be practiced on a daily (or if I may: nightly) basis in order to maintain the minimal level of physical and mental functionality. Sleep, for me, is but a mere need, one that is as essential as food and water not by choice, rather by default…

Referring to what the dictionary states: sleeping is a "periodic state of rest for the body and mind", let me tell you one thing: I don't agree! See lately, with all the troubles I've been facing and the whole lot of thinking I've been forced to practice, I do not feel that through the few or many hours of sleep I exercise that I'm getting any rest neither for my mind nor for my body!

It's not bad enough that every night I fall asleep on the couch and I wake up with this horrible back ache! To make things worse I wake up with a million red mosquito bites (though the vape thingy is on everywhere around the house!) Moreover, during this sleeping time my mind keeps shifting gears from one subject to another and even the dreams I have revolve around this problem or the other!

I guess that's it about sleep…

I would like to end this piece of writing with wishes for everyone of my readers to have a hearty good night sleep and hope that soon enough I will have that too!

0 comments:

 

The Undeniable Existence of The Soul Blak Magik is Designed by productive dreams for smashing magazine Bloggerized by Ipiet © 2009