Saturday, March 17, 2007

Things We Take for Granted...


A couple of hours ago, as I sat on the dinner table, in that cozy home, with that caring and loving family, a new subject was opened: Deafness and blindness, which is harder and why?

As I sat there, I sank into my thoughts and contemplations, wondering, if I was forced to choose between the two, which choice would I make?

My mind got so worked up, my soul stressed too…

I mean if I was deaf, what would I be deprived of?
How come we don't seem to appreciate the sense of hearing until we really think about things like that?
Why do we always take what we have for granted and forget to count our blessings?

I know that no matter how much I write about this, I won't ever be able to describe it well but I can only imagine this and this alone is too much for me to handle!

If I was deaf:
I wouldn't be able to hear the sound of the birds singing on a warm Sunday morning as I get ready to go to work…
I wouldn't be able to listen to the sound of the waves slowly moving towards the shore…
I wouldn't be able to hear and enjoy the music, any type or genre of music and hum or sing along…
As a child, I would be deprived of my mom's voice singing to me so I could fall asleep…
I would be deprived of hearing the voices of people who are sitting next to me in the same room…
I would be denied the right to watch any movie or series without having to read the subtitles…
I would be denied the right to hear the phone ring, receive or make a phone call…
I wouldn't be able to hear my boyfriend sing to me in order to cheer me up!

In other words, I would be robbed any audio connection with the world around me, deprived from many important feelings and sensations that come as part of hearing…

If I was blind:
As an infant, I wouldn't be able to see mom's face smiling at me with pride and joy…
I wouldn't be able to watch the sunrise or sunset, watch the birds fly, the sea sway, or the trees dance…
I would be deprived of knowing how my family members, relatives and friends look…
I would be deprived of walking alone in the street, watching the cars, the people and nature from around me…
I would be denied the right to use a computer, watch TV or even read a sign or a poster…
I would be denied to see the clothes I'm wearing, the things in my own room, and the color of my own bed sheets!

In other words, I would be living in constant darkness that will not fade away with a switch of a light or the beginning of a new day…

Lesson learnt:
I truly think that we should be grateful for the little things we never think of and take for granted because the loss of those could shatter our world and leave us so numb and broken inside…

0 comments:

 

The Undeniable Existence of The Soul Blak Magik is Designed by productive dreams for smashing magazine Bloggerized by Ipiet © 2009